Silicone Rubber (VMQ)
Sheet silicone FDA compliant 60 shore. Silicone offers advantages over other rubber sheeting. It is a very resilient material maintaining its properties at very high and very low temperatures. Commonly used in pharmaceutical, food and other clean industry applications. Naturally electrically insulating with excellent ozone and UV resistance It offers high tear resistance, tensile strength and good elongation at break. Remaining constant whatever the temperature, silicone has excellent resistance to heat while remaining flexible at low temperatures. low in flammability, it is resistant to ultra-violet light, weathering, sea water and ozone. It is metal detectable and exhibits low smoke toxicity
Silicone polymers differ from rubber as they are made with a silicon and oxygen backbone. Silicone rubbers can exhibit good elasticity over a larger temperature range than the more standard rubbers.
Silicone rubber is inert and does not cause any reactions within the body. This means that it is appropriate for use within the food processing industry, and it is extensively used in this environment as washers, gaskets, scrapers, curtains, and seals. Silicone is also commonly used in the automotive and medical industries.
Key Properties of Silicone:
- Ideal for high and low temperature applications
- Excellent electrical properties
- Good resistance to weathering and ozone attack
- Excellent non adhesive properties
- Low chemical reactivity
- Low toxicity
- Flame retardant
- Physical properties are generally low
- Not very strong and cannot be strengthened with Carbon Black.
- High-cost relative to other rubbers.
- Cannot be crosslinked with sulphur. Are usually cured with peroxides.
Operating Temperature Range: -80 to +300 °C
- Outstanding resistance to weathering and ozone attack.
- Chemically resistant to water, alcohols, acetone, and other polar fluids.
- Not resistant to superheated steam
- Poor gas permeability
- Poor resistance to petroleum-based fluids
- High temperature car ignition cables
- Power and control cables
- Insulated wires
- Keyboard mats
- Exhaust hangers
- Fuel valves / seals
- Aircraft window seals
- Oxygen masks and systems
- Breast pumps
- Surgical implants
- Heart pacemakers
- Kitchen and cookware